NMC standards framework for nursing and midwifery education: all change!
In May 2018, the NMC published the new standards of proficiency for future nurse, standards framework for nursing and midwifery education, standards for student supervision and assessment, and standards for nursing and midwifery prescribing programmes. These new standards came into effect from January 2019. At same time, the NMC has also agreed to the adoption of the Royal Pharmaceutical Society’s (RPS) Competency Framework for all Prescribers. In July 2018 we became the legal regulator for nursing associates in England and in October 2018 the standards for programme and proficiencies for the nursing associates were also published.
• Provides an overview of our new standards of education for nurses and midwives including the programme standards and proficiencies for pre-qualifying nursing and nursing associate, and standards for nursing and midwifery prescribing.
• Looks at how these standards differ from our current standards, and the challenges and opportunities they will bring for students, practitioners, educators, employers and the NMC as a regulator.
• Covers the implementation activity that we have carried out to date and explores a number of areas that are challenging the implementation of the standards, and
• Provides some key topics for consideration at both education and practice level, including the importance of the relevant standards of proficiency as part of revalidation for nurses and nursing associates and the RPS Competency Framework for nursing and midwifery prescribers.
- Increased understanding and clarity of the new standards and what these means for them
- • How to use the proficiencies as a tool for their own professional development and revalidation
- • To share this knowledge with others in order to ensure successful implementation of the new standards.
- Further information is available on the NMC website www.nmc.org.uk and if you have any questions about the standards please send through to firstname.lastname@example.org.