Providing high quality end of life care in general practice – meeting the aims of the new QOF quality improvement module
The new five-year GP contract introduced radical changes to general practice and much needed improvements to the QOF, including new quality improvement modules for prescribing safety and end of life care. This session aims to update your skills and knowledge as a GP to enable you to improve the quality of end of life care provided by your practice and primary care network. The session will help you to meet the key aims of the quality improvement module, including:
• Early identification and support for people with advanced progressive illness who might die within the next twelve months
• Well-planned and coordinated care that is responsive to the patient’s changing needs with the aim of improving the experience of care
• Identification and support for family / informal care-givers, both as part of the core care team around the patient and as individuals facing impending bereavement.
- To understand the requirements of the Quality Improvement part of the new GP contract regarding End of Life Care
- To understand some of the different ways that this work can be done in practice
- To understand the different resources that are available to practices to support them with this work.